<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

News Regurgitation 

On the March 15 episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, the interview was with Tom Fenton, author of Bad News. The book is about the decline of news. Fenton's take on the whole thing is that, starting in the 90's or so, new people have become "supremely lazy and incompetent". I was watching the interview (which was a pretty good interview, I might add) and one thing that I thought, after "oh god, we're in even MORE trouble then I thought" and "yeah, I totally agree", was "blogs". One of the things that blogs, in general, do best, is regurgitate news. Fenton said that the decline of news started in the 90's, which means that blogs, of course, didn't cause it. It seems that blogs have taken advantage of our society's short attention span and helped worsen the problem. Look at the blogs. There are some people like David Pinto at Baseball Musings who are developing new stats and trying to expand baseball knowledge, but most of them (of us, me included) spat out news that we saw somewhere else and through in a couple of wisecracks or wry witticisms or just an opinion or two.

There is something more between Fenton's Bad News and blogs, but I'm going to have to think about it a bit more. It's not just something that I can peel off the top of my head. I just wanted to start the thought process by pointing this out. Perhaps I will continue to post thoughts on the connection here when they pop into my head. If anyone has thoughts or ideas, I'd love to hear them.
# posted by shawn : 3/16/2005 10:54:00 PM -
Comments: Post a Comment