<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Holiday season 

Merry Christmas! Happy Festivus! Joyous Boxing Day! Whatever you celebrate, I hope you're all having fun. Blogging is going to be a bit slow, mostly because there is no news to report. I may come up with a little something, since I have some free time this extended weekend, but I'm not sure what. I'll try and throw a little something together (or a couple little somethings) to give the 2 or 3 visitors something to read.

I do have to admit, though, that my quickie analysis of the SS free agents (see below) still strikes me as interesting. Of course there are things not shown, such as the players history (previous years' Win Shares are hard to find - anyone know where I can find them online?) which, of course, influences his contract. But the amazing thing (which I also commented on below) is the difference in contracts of Renteria and Guzman - the former was sometimes identified as the best SS in the NL, and the latter pretty much a failed prospect from the AL. Their WS were almost identical last year. And then there is Orlando Cabrera - a player who has really never had a good year, coming up with $32M over 4 years. I want his agent to negotiate my next deal. He displaced a guy with almost the same numbers as he, but they are paying him $5M more per year over some percieved improvement.

It just boggles my mind what the owners and GMs are doing. I'm not talking about just overpaying guys, which they are, but it's the amount of plain old bad decisions that they are making.
Here are some signings that initially made me do a double take, which are now actually seeming like decent moves by their respective teams:OK, this post was supposed to be nice and short, and it turned into a longer rant about a little bit of everything. And I'm not going back and editing it, either, so if it's a bit incomprehendable, then so be it. Happy Holidays!
# posted by shawn : 12/25/2004 01:02:00 PM -
Comments: Post a Comment