<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The Western Hemisphere Baseball League 

I know my posts have been a bit sparse lately, but I have good reason: I've joined The Western Hemisphere Baseball League. It's an OOTP league (if you don't know what OOTP is, you're missing out - it's a great baseball simulator. You can use made up players, or historical players. Look into it, you'll be very pleased that you did.

Anyway, in the WHBL, I'm the Guayaquil Tigrillos. In case you were wondering, Guayaquil is a city in Ecuador. We are currently in draft mode, which is what has been taking up most of my time. With 32 teams, the draft tends to get quite long and drawn out. There are a LOT of players in the draft that need to be reviewed and ranked, etc. My strategy has been going with mostly young players with a few strong veterens thrown in the mix. The young players won't make the major league team for a season or two, so my team is going to suck ass for the foreseeable future. The great thing about OOTP leagues, is that you usually get through an entire season in 2-3 months, then you have postseason, free agency, spring training, then the next season, so you really get to see your young guys progress and improve over time, from A-ballers to major league superstars. It's a ton of fun, especially if you join a league with very strong owners. I'm also in two other leagues that take up much less of my time (though one league is ready to dissolve and start over again). My 3rd league is an early 20th century team with historical players. I have the Detroit Tigers and we're in 1902 right now. It's pretty interesting.

Thanks for being patient with me while I gear up for the WHBL (and other things that have been keeping me busy, like a drawing class and building a shed in my backyard). I should be in full swing after the All-Star break. Thanks!
# posted by shawn : 7/13/2004 12:46:00 PM -
Comments: Post a Comment