<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Bad use of statistics 

I was reading an article at newsday.com when I came across this paragraph:
I know, I know, it's a basketball article, but listen to my point. The author of the article, Greg Logan, makes a point to say that Dampier isn't the answer to defend against Shaq. My point is: is there ANYONE that can really defend against Shaq? OK, maybe The Admiral at one time was good against him, and probably a couple guys here and there that have had limited success against him, BUT Dampier allowing Shaq to average 25.1 points and 11.5 rebounds, while seeming like a lot of points and rebounds, is actually LESS then Shaq's career averages of 27.1 points and 12.0 rebounds per game. Mr. Logan forgot to mention that small point. I know, it's not significantly less than Shaq's average, so statistically it's probably identical considering the number of games that Dampier and Shaq have playerd against each other (17 games). I just hate to see statistics misused like this, whether it's in basketball, baseball, politics, or wherever. STOP ABUSING STATISTICS!!!

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
# posted by shawn : 7/20/2004 11:22:00 AM -
Comments: Post a Comment