<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Wow, it's been a month??? 

That's crazy. I know that I stopped writing because things got busy, but I didn't think that it's been that long.

Check this out to see what I was doing for the past 2 weeks.

Yes, I was in Italy for 10 days (and stuck in shithole Paris for another day). That, plus a lot of other stuff that came my way caused me to neglect my duties as a baseball blogger.

And there was something else, too, that has been irking me for some time. I don't know why, but several of the blogs that I had been reading regularly have really been bugging me.

When I started this journey into the baseball blog, I started where a lot of people did - David Pinto's Baseball Musings. You've all read it, I'm sure. Most of you are probably regulars. But there is something there now, which I don't think was there previously, that just bugs the shit out of me. And what's worse is that I just can't put my finger on it. I'm not writing to pass judgment on David, in fact he just sent an email response to a commented that I posted on Baseball Musings about Robert Heinlein (and he pretty much deferred to my knowledge on Heinlein). But there is something in the tone of his blog now that just rubs me the wrong way. I still read it every day, but not with the same zeal that I used to.

And then there is Aaron of Aaron's Baseball Blog. He's now writing for The Hardball Times and things aren't the same at his blog. Why don't I just read The Hardball Times? I don't know. I think it's great that he's moving onto bigger and better things, and he seems like a great guy, and I love his writing, but sometimes we humans don't take to change very well. I truly wish the best for Aaron; I think he's going to do just fine in baseball journalism.

And Bronx Banter by Alex Belth. With all the guest columns that he's been having, I find myself enjoying his blog less and less. I still like reading his entries, but I find myself visiting his site less and less.

Of course there are many other blogs that are still going strong - Cliff, Scott, etc. - you all know who you are. But I find my interest in baseball blogs waning a little. And add that to my trip to Italy (see above link), work that needs to get done on my house, OOTP, my big project at work that I'm running behind on, and my engagement to my wonderful, fantastic, beautiful, spectacular girlfriend Juli. Add all that together and combine it with my dissatisfaction with some of my regular blogs, and you get my losing interest.

I'm really going to try harder to post regularly, but I don't just want to post boring "Bernie is still slumping, but I think he'll shake it soon" or "Jeter is finally coming around" posts. We, as baseball fans and more specifically, Yankee fans, KNOW this stuff already. We follow the team's every move. Yeah, we all know Donovon Osbourne sucks. And that the Yanks don't have a second baseman. I want to challenge myself and write more in depth entires - more analysis and less fluff. And maybe that's the problem. When you only have 15 minutes during the day to write at work, and then you get home and have so many other things to do (and that I truly desire to spend most of my waking hours with Juli), then there just isn't enough time in the day to do it.

But I'm going to try. And I'm going to start updating the Random Top 10 list again. So if anyone is reading this, feel free to repromote me and let people know that I'm going to try my best to start regular blogging again.

Thanks for everyone's patience, I really appreciate those of you who have stuck around over the past month.
# posted by shawn : 5/13/2004 07:26:00 AM -
Comments: Post a Comment