<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Geoff Jenkins thread 

I'm currently having and interesting discussion on an interesting topic at Baseball Musings - Geoff Jenkins' new contract with the Brewers (3/yr, $8.5M/yr). Basically, I am arguing that Jenkins is being way overpaid. Here is my first post in the comments section:
And Charlie points out that he's already 29 years old and on his way into decline. Here is my next point:
Seriously, how much COULD he have signed for if he was a free agent this offseason? I don't think he would have been able to sign for nearly as much. Tangotiger points out that his UZR makes him one of the best fielders in the league, but he plays left field, one of the least difficult (imortant?) positions on the diamond. I investigated Jenkins' Rate2 stat:
I think this is just another bad move on the Brewers' part. I wasn't crazy about the trade of Sexson - they didn't really get any really promising players - but I understand they probably did as well as they could. I'm thinking this signing of Jenkins is a bit like the Tigers overpaying for free agents. Jenkins wasn't a free agent yet, but since Milwaukee isn't a desirable place for players to play, perhaps they had to overpay to sign their own player.
# posted by shawn : 3/03/2004 02:21:00 PM -
Comments: Post a Comment