<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Monday, January 12, 2004

Maddux to Mets? and a note on the Mets and Vlad 

Maddux

This move makes sense for Maddux. He'd be getting back together with his friend and long-time cohort Tommy Galvine, plus he'd be playing on a team with a fantastic up-the-middle defense with Matsui, Reyes and Cameron. He'd also be pitching in a pitcher's park, which I'm sure he'd like, and he'd be staying in the National League, where he'd pitched his entire career.

As for the Mets, they are quickly running out of options to improve their pitching staff. Maddux is at the end of his career, and will probably put up decent numbers on the Mets for another season, but I'm not sure how many more years he has left. His ERA went up over a run from 2.62 to 3.96 from 2002 to 2003, but his BB's and K's have stayed about the same. Looking at his numbers, it looks like they are all roughly equivalent from 2002 to 2003 except for HR (up from 14 to 24) and ERA. His BB's even went down from 45 in 199.1 IP to 33 in 218.1 IP. I think this would be a good signing for the Mets, but not for more than 2 years. A one year contract would be even better for them.

Vlad

It's funny how thing work in this world. I was born and raised in NY, but for the past 13+ years I've lived in Atlanta, so I know how the NY media works. Down here in Atlanta, from what I read online and heard on the media down here, the Mets AT BEST had an outside chance of signing Vlad. I never heard anyone say anything about them having even a GOOD chance of signing him. But apparently the NY media hyped the situation up so much (from reading the online NY media and I still have contacts in NY who I've talked to about this) that every Met fan was already celebrating his signing with the Mets. I love the Hot Stove league as much as anyone, but I find it a bit irresponsible for the media, newspaper and radio especially, for overhyping a situation so much to the point that they are feeding the public false facts just to get them to buy papers and listen to their radio show (*cough*Mike & the Maddog*cough*). The only people who thought that Vlad was going to sign with the Mets were Mets fans. I feel bad for them (well, as bad as a Yankee fan can feel for Mets fans, at least) for being manipulated so much by the media. And I know they are foaming mad at the Mets for not signing Vlad, but they should really try and redirect their anger at the NY media for being so irresponsible.
# posted by shawn : 1/12/2004 11:50:00 AM -
Comments: Post a Comment