<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Greatest Game

Monday, January 05, 2004

Comparing Tony Clark to Nick Johnson??? 

I was skimming through espn.com this morning before getting dressed to go to work, and I saw this quote in the "Offseason Power Rankings" here:

"Tony Clark had more homers than Nick Johnson last season in 70 fewer at-bats."

Ummm...yeah, so what? Is espn.com (or whoever wrote this article, who we will probably never know since there was no byline) trying to tell us that Tony Clark is a better player than Nick Johnson? I know that whoever wrote this could not POSSIBLY think that this is true, but putting that comment in there is deceiving at best. Why not say something closer to the truth like, "Tony Clark is a poor replacement for Nick Johnson - at bat and in the field." Last year Clark was .233/.300/.472 while Johnson was .284/.422/.472. SA were the same, so that totally negates the "more homers in less at bats" argument, and Nick's OBP was 122 points higher! Oh yeah, he's also a better fielder (though that's not really saying much).

OK, I'm glad I was able to get that off my chest. Now it's off to work!
# posted by shawn : 1/05/2004 08:43:00 AM -
Comments: Post a Comment